Setting up Raspberry Pi 3

I got myself a Raspberry Pi 3.
Why? Why not?
I figured, with project coming our way, it would be safe to have local aarch64 machine. This way I won't have to worry about making back up all the time, won't have to jump from server to server trying to avoid traffic, and I can leave it running for any testing that might take hours or days.

I was trying to get Fedora on it, but for some reason it was too laggy to the point that it was not useable. So I turned to the distro recommended by Raspberry Pi and got Ubuntu MATE.

These are the steps I went through to get Ubuntu MATE running on Raspberry Pi. These steps are for Windows.

1 - Download the file from the Raspberry Pi Website
2 - You need two softwares to make SD card, 7-zip and Win32DiskImager
3 - Extract the file using 7-zip
4 - Write to SD card using Win32DiskImager
5 - Set up your Raspberry Pi and follow the Ubuntu MATE set up guide

What I learned -
Always read the instructions fully. Had I known the above steps sooner I wouldn't have spent a day trying and wondering why it wasn't working.

I'm still not sure why Fedora was giving me trouble.
If anyone have any idea on how to use Fedora on Raspberry Pi, please do let me know.
Here is a link to the Fedora site where I got the image - Fedora for Raspberry Pi 3

**Update November 1, 2018**
After using Ubuntu MATE on Raspberry Pi for few days I found out that it's actually an 32 bit system. This wouldn't be a suitable testing environment for my project.
I'll try other options available from Fedora and maybe Debian, and I'll post an update if I make any progress.

Comments